Out of work sick with acute vertigo, cant go back until symptoms subside. Only managing to keep the meds and food down today. Supremely pissed off as I was set to go into Week 6 and all going to plan smash my numbers. So now what? Accordibg to 5/3/1 FAQ
When you get sick, go on vacation, etc. You’re going to have to use your best judgment with this – I have been getting countless questions about illnesses and how to start a program after a lay off. The best advice is the following:
1. Start where you left off and only get the prescribed reps.
2. Do the deload week first to get back into the swing of things.
3. Screw it all – go balls out.
4. Start an entire cycle over again – from square one. Because reactions and illnesses are all so different, it is impossible for me to give advice. I once went through an awful bout of food poisoning when I was in high school – and came back about a week later, fully hydrated and pissed off…and hit some great numbers. I also had a huge PR a couple years ago on the deadlift after food poisoning…but had little left in the tank to do anything else!
Anyone that has any kind of lay off (whether it be vacation or illness or whatever…)
– USE YOUR BEST JUDGMENT. And if in doubt, start too light. YOU WILL NEVER GET WEAKER IF YOU DO THIS.